WIN - Remote
|Genres||computer remote control, alternate input method, Windows control|
Change Wi-Fi state
|Available at||Google Play|
Amazon Appstore for Android
|Price||Free or fee-based|
WIN - Remote is an app for Android to remotely control your Windows pc. The app requires Windows Remote Service installed on the computer as being the server software.
- Input: keyboard, cursor, numpad, mouse
- Remote View: Live screenshot of you Windows pc
- Filemanager: Browse your files on your Android device
- Browser: Control your browser
- Task Manager: Switch through tasks and show performance information (CPU, memory)
- Video Remote: Control a video player
- Audio Remote: Control an audio player
- Media Center: Control a media center
- Image Viewer: Control an image viewer
- Presentation: Control a presentation program
- Server Management: Manage different servers
- Power: Change the state of your PC and/or monitor
- Remote Market: Browse and download remotes created by other users FOR FREE!
For an installation guide of the server side, please see the main article on Windows Remote Service.
- At least Android 2.1
- Multitouch recommended
- WiFi or Bluetooth
Download and install the WIN - Remote app. There are two versions available: a free version and an ad-free PRO version. The free version is available on Google Play, AndroidPIT, Amazon Appstore for Android and Samsung Apps.
→ Main article: Permissions of WIN - Remote
Windows Remote Service and the app can either communicate over the local network or Bluetooth. Communications over 3G or 4G should also be possible.
→ Main article: setting up server connection
Local network (WiFi)
After checking that the service is running and not blocked by anything (→ Main article: server side connection), it's straight forward.
If any port changes were made, you have to tell the app. Inside settings choose Server settings and you're able to change the port(s). Or go to Server management to change the server (= Windows pc) itself.
For selecting a server there are two ways possible:
- Go to the Server management
- Click the Add server button
- Enter the IP address or pc name of your computer inside the field IP address
- If applicable, enter any port changes in the advanced settings of the server
- Click OK to save the server
- Select your server
Notice: The Port Mouse (which you can find inside server settings) is also the port used by Windows Remote Service to receive the broadcast sent by an automatic scan (done by WIN - Remote). You need to make sure that WIN - Remote has set up the same ports as Windows Remote Service to get a response during the automatic scan.
After selecting your server you are ready to interact with your Windows pc from within WIN - Remote.
To use a Bluetooth connection, make sure that your computer and mobile device are already paired. The pairing is done neither by WIN - Remote nor Windows Remote Service.
To select your server (= Windows pc) either click on Server Management on the home screen or open the app's settings and select Server Settings >> Server Management. As long as you turned Bluetooth on in Android, your paried Bluetooth devices are already listed.
After selecting your server you are ready to interact with Windows from your app. Currently no files and thus no images are transmitted via Bluetooth. Therefore, the following features are not (fully) supported:
- Remote View
- File and folder icons inside filemanager, network and task manager
- Displaying album art in WMP - Remote
- Downloading or streaming files using the filemanager
- Downloading and installing remotes using the filemanager
- Remote Market
3G or 4G
→ Main article: Instructions for connecting via 3G or 4G
WIN - Remote PRO
The PRO version of WIN - Remote includes the same features as the free version. The only difference is that it is ad-free and there is no download limit (in the free version you can only download files smaller than 5MB).
See a demonstration video on YouTube (version 1.0).
Tip: Press long on the back button anywhere in WIN - Remote to access the keyboard, which will send the keys to your Windows computer.
Important: Due to security reasons, WIN - Remote will not work on the secure desktop (e.g. logon screen of Windows).
→ Main article: Usage of WIN - Remote
Windows Remote Service
Windows Remote Service is the server software which must be installed and running on your Windows pc. Otherwise WIN - Remote can't connect to your pc and the app won't work!
→ Main article: Windows Remote Service
- Demonstration video on YouTube
- WIN - Remote LITE at Google Play
- WIN - Remote LITE at AndroidPIT
- WIN - Remote LITE on Amazon Appstore for Android
- WIN - Remote LITE on Samsung Apps
- WIN - Remote PRO at Google Play
- WIN - Remote PRO at AndroidPIT
- WIN - Remote PRO on Amazon Appstore for Android
- ActionBarSherlock to display an action bar on pre-ICS devices