As some of you may have noticed in the latest VLC version (2.1.0 and above) the settings for the web interface of VLC have been changed. VLC does no longer use the .hosts file to restrict access, rather the web interface forces the user to use a password.
What does this mean? Is my app no longer functional?
The Android app will still work without updating! All you have to do is set up a password inside VLC’s web interface settings:
- Open VLC
- Click on Tools » Preferences
- Select Show settings » All in the bottom left corner
- Click on Interface » Main interfaces » Lua in the menu on the left
- Enter your password inside Lua HTTP » Password
- Click Save
In the next step, you have to update your Android App’s server settings:
- Open VLC Super Duper Remote
- Select from the menu Select Server
- Press long on your VLC server and select Edit
- Tick the Advanced Settings checkbox
- Leave User blank
- Enter the previously defined password inside Password field
- Click OK
What about my Windows Phone app?
The Windows Phone app isn’t currently set up to enter user credentials. It needs to be updated. The update to include this feature is currently in development!
But the wiki does not mention this!
The wiki will updated shortly after this post!